Mathematics at Berry Hill Primary School
Our Mathematics curriculum is planned to...
- promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
- build confidence and competence with numbers and the number system;
- develop the ability to understand and solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts;
- embrace a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented;
- explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts;
- help children understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life especially in relation to essential life skills such as telling the time and understanding money;
- encourage pupils to believe that they can achieve and succeed at Mathematics through a growth mind-set.
Mathematics introduces children to concepts, skills and thinking strategies that are essential in everyday life and support learning across the curriculum.
It helps children make sense of the numbers, patterns and shapes they see in the world around them, offers ways of handling data in an increasingly digital world and makes a crucial contribution to their development as successful learners.
Children delight in using mathematics to solve a problem, especially when it leads them to an unexpected discovery or new connections.
As their confidence grows, they look for patterns, use logical reasoning, suggest solutions and try out different approaches to problems.
Mathematics offers children a powerful way of communicating. They learn to explore and explain their ideas using symbols, diagrams and spoken and written language. They start to discover how mathematics has developed over time and contributes to our economy, society and culture. Studying mathematics stimulates curiosity, fosters creativity and equips children with the skills they need in life beyond school.
At Berry Hill Primary we use the Rising Stars Mathematics Scheme, which complies with the EYFS framework and National Curriculum, to ensure progression across the year groups, providing children with knowledge and skills, and building on their confidence to use mathematics in their every-day lives.
In addition, we are currently exploring GLOWMATHS with our infant (EYFS and KS1) children, this is a Department for Education (DFE) initiative to support children's developing confidence with number and RAINBOW MATHS across the school. This programme encourages children to work at pace and develop fluency in the recall and memory of number bonds, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division facts. Children work through the colour bands as they progress.
For more information on our Rising Stars Mathematics scheme, please read the documents below.
Please find below our Maths Calculation Policy below which details the mental and written methods which we use to teach addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Please find some useful links below to support your child with maths at home.
For more information on our curriculum in each year group, please visit the class pages using the links provided below.