Sports and Physical Activity
SPORTS AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
Here at Berry Hill Primary School we pride ourselves on our excellent sporting and physical education (PE) provision, which resulted in the GOLD for 2017-18 and 2018-2019, and SILVER in the previous year.
We aim for all our children to develop a love of exercise and promote a wide range of options so that all children get a chance to participate and enjoy! Children understand that physical exercise promotes a positive outlook, and helps them stay healthy in body and mind!
This ethos resulted in the award of the Gloucestershire Active Sports Award for Wellbeing 2017-18, as well as our Health Schools and Mental Health Champions Award. We are extremely proud of these achievements, and continue to work with our Sports Leaders - pupils elected by their classes to continue to improve our sports and physical activity curriculum.
Our sports and PE provision provides:
- opportunities for children to develop self-confidence, problem solving and team work skills
- a wide range of opportunities to try different sporting and physical activities
- opportunities to take part in competitive sport - both within our school and beyond
- opportunities to develop the values of the School Games - PASSION, SELF-BELIEF, RESPECT, HONESTY, TEAMWORK, DETERMINATION.
- opportunities to compete in mass events - such as Country Dancing, Cross Country, Sportshall Athletics, to name a few.
- opportunities to learn about elite sports, including challenging gender stereotypes - for example visits and coaching from England Rugby internationals Natasha Hunt and Ceri Large, and from Katy Curd, competing downhill cyclist.
- at least two hours of physical activity each week for all children, and in addition the DAILY MILE, which is a very popular initiative involving 15 minutes exercise (running or walking) where circuits of the playground or field (weather permitting) are counted giving a weekly total for each class.
- a progressive and motivating curriculum, which ensures children develop their skills and abilities across the year groups.
- opportunities to participate in a wide range of activities and sports, encouraging participation and enjoyment and making use of facilities in our local area (such as local swimming pools, and the excellent gymnastics centre).
- Celebration of participation and success, both in school and in the community.
The photographs below are a few examples of our children's participation and enjoyment. This is just a snapshot! Come and talk to our children to find out more!